Friday, May 10, 2013

Introductions - Part 2

Photographic "Style"

Because I'm so new to the hobby and still exploring its ins and outs, I don't think I could categorize myself to a particular style.

However, I do very much enjoy portraits, especially with the use of artificial lighting. I feel like I have the most control over things when both the subject and the light that illuminates it are under my complete control. A little tasteless way to say it, but photography ain't a democracy.

It's like product photography, except the product moves.
All jokes aside, interaction is very important to me. I love people as subjects because, before you click a single frame, you can figure out what may look good. It's more than than shining a couple bright lights and saying yay or nay to your LCD screen.

I like artificial light because I'm in love with Strobist-style photography. There's something utterly pleasing about the idea of using complicated flashlights to create something amazing. You can take a picture, dislike it, and just move one light a little bit and it'll change the tone of the image completely. There may be a bit of trial and error involved, but the feeling of finally getting something that looks near-perfect is irreplaceable.

Accidental capture, but it at least follows Rule of Thirds so it's worthy as a gap filler.
The combination of these two elements fits perfectly with the reason I like photography so much in the first place: A combination of art and logic.

May be cheesy to say, but this practice portrait of my girlfriend is currently my favorite picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment