Wednesday, April 24, 2013

First Projects

It's always difficult to get serious things going after putting your toes into the water. Especially with my lack of experience and budget, I wouldn't dream of doing any major projects for strangers. Besides, I have a lot more going on in my life -- I need to go back to school and keep on working. This doesn't mean that I don't have any ambition, though.

A candid from a birthday party.
In the next two months, I have a couple potential projects going on presented by my coworkers looking for a free/cheap photographer.



Within the next two weeks, a coworker is having a baby shower and asked if I would be open to the possibility of taking some pictures. It would be a good time, I thought. I had just gotten a new lens and my first speedlite (though it's rather cheap and lacks TTL, so its use will be limited).


Towards the end of next month, I have something a little more stressful that I agreed to following up with: A baptism. It's no wedding, sure, but nonetheless, it's an important event in the life of a human being taking place in a large space with limited light. I may even invest in renting an 85mm prime (which is quite long on a crop sensor) just to help with the low light.



Neither of these events are guaranteeing me payment (nor am I asking for/expecting any!), but each picture has a chance of making it to my non-existent portfolio. Apart from that, I'd hate to ruin an important day with my lack of practice and equipment, so I made sure that I was shooting events that would otherwise have no other photographer.

Hopefully, I can get a lot of preparation time!

No comments:

Post a Comment